Monday 16 February 2009

Office 2007 sucks potatoes and stinks like poo

So I'm editing the notices on the website and to get things done quicker, I figure I would rather type without looking at the screen - during the holidays I lost my ability to touch-type...
My Mom calls from the kitchen for me to put the dishes away, so I decide to finish the sentence and press save. I look up and see to my horror that I TYPED EVERYTHING IN UPPER-CASE!! Quick on the thinking blocks, I start up wORD (drop cap intended) and paste the text. After highlighting it I franticly look for the change case option that I normally find under the drop down menus.

^#&@^%@&^$#$@^%#$@^#^$!&@^#*$^*#^@*!*!*@^*!*^@*!^*^@*!*@*&@&!*#^#%^&!%@!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right-clicking didn't work. Although after studying the odd graphical icons, and mouse'ing over, I found the horrid change case button. I got up in a fit and peacefully helped my Mom...

Sure, office 2007 is great for the person who's used it for ever and a day, but for a newbie or someone used to office 2000 or 2003...it sucks potatoes and stinks like poo - even worse, Open Office 3 is far better than office 2007 as it works on older hardware whereas office 2007 dries up every bit of memory and spits out dung.

So now that I have the text changed, I copy and paste it into the editor. But the font is different, so I reveal the source and find a page and a half of worthless markup. So now office has gone from a text document editor to a "I know what you want to do" package that by default copies not only the text, but all the bitters that go with it. but, but, but. No. It shouldn't insert markup like it does. Imagine if for every second paragraph I had to insert it from wORD. The source for my webpage would be multiples of style blocks and other markup, making the final saved page into a huge file. If I used notepad and saved the same file with all the fancy fonts and structure of the page my file would be alot smaller, but it's far more easier to paste text into the editor on the website.

My biggest complaint is the iconified office package that costs a mint, does its own thing and takes longer to learn than Blender or Adobe Premiere!

No, I'm not anti- Windows. I just use linux as I don't own a licensed copy of Windows. I was SUSE, but now I'm Ubuntu. I was KDE, but now Gnome. See where I'm going?
(Terminals kick ass better than GUIs)

Support Open Source, I do and live like a King!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home