Friday 14 March 2008

LANs.....

So I was roped in to help with a new thing the youth got going at church - a LAN (playing network games with each other).

I setup a file server and DHCP server, which has worked well! I even got unrealIRCd on it, JuST for the fun of it - I was an IRC geek back in the day...
One of the guys (A) who should really slow down, runs about getting people connected. The guy he's trying to help (B) is wanting to connect to another pc. A, finds the ip address and remembers it as 247 instead of 244 in all his haste! Destination unreachable, but he can ping the server..so he changes network cables. Ye..I know... I just laughed!!

Then B gets frustrated and calls me. I find the replacement cable is a cross-over and not a straight-through. Get the old cable and connect to 244. One of the hub's ports is broken too... B is very happy!!


Simple N+ - even a monkey could do it!?!
But hey! I'm enjoying helping these poor guys. It has been lots of fun, but now I gotta go home to sleep - I got lots of wood work to complete!!

SMiLE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home