Tuesday 4 November 2008

Public speaking.....

On Monday I was asked if I would be able or rather willing to help out with chapel on Tuesday morning. I was told that if I decide to help, I must come to a planning evening at Mugg & Bean, Woodlands @ 18h30.

I thought long and hard about it and decided to help.

I got to the meeting 30 minutes late, but I told Jean that I would be late.

I ordered my usual large strawberry milkshake and then we got down to business.

I didn’t know how to give input, so I just sat there. But then Jean said something about idols and a thought stirred up inside my head.

‘What if, when you are speaking about idols, someone takes out their cell phone and plays with it?’

I started something. Mel piped up about a testimony and Jean asked if any of us, Jean, Anthony, Mel and myself, had a testimony to share.

I immediately thought about IRC. My face, without authorization, gave a smile and, on direct orders not to, my head nodded.

‘Oh crap! What have you go yourself into now?’

When I got home, I had supper and sat down to start writing my testimony. After 2 – 3 hours and lots of scrap paper, I had a 3½ page testimony.

On Tuesday morning I had no nervous feelings. I got to church and timed myself reading the text – it rook me around 6 minutes.

When we arrived, I learnt where we would be giving the chapel period.

And then I realized how many people would come!

Nerves started flowing, but I kept breathing.

I was introduced and I got up to get the mike from Mel.

I read the first line on my script and um, stopped for 15 seconds. . .

I couldn’t believe I was standing in front of around 200 school children and giving a speech!
I don’t do such things. Period. I’m the supa-quiet ignite guy.

I gave a testimony on idols. My idols were IRC, MXIT and facebook. I tried to be as blunt as possible.

When the wind blew my notes, I cracked a joke about it. I’m thankful for my Mom sending me to Toastmasters for a year or two!

I was told that I was brilliant. I got cheered on by the students. I was simply shocked that I managed to keep myself sane in front of many school children.

Now, before I take all the glory, God was the biggest player in all this. Without God, I would have been quite useless.

I had fun today. I spoke to lots of people.

One last thing. I said I was almost a week without facebook. That word slipped out. What I meant to say was my home pc. I’ll try not to go onto facebook as much as I used to with a personal computer in my room. Once a week tho!?

Blessed be the name of the Lord!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home