Monday 6 October 2008

Troubleshooting Dirty Windows (GDI32.DLL)

I brought the office PC home to try fix it after a virus, or many I should say, attacked it and brought it to a complete stand-still.

Once I had cleared the virus threat using my linux box and f-prot, I rebooted and windows complained about many files missing - basically rendered the PC useless. It was as though the "bones" were removed..lol.
Having already made a backup prior to killing the [many] virus, I slapped the only service pack I had - sp3 v 3264. (I burned windows disks for a reason...)

Rebooted and then cried cuz I couldnt return the PC working before leaving for Uitenhage.. I left it with a very Blue issue.
STOP: c0000139 {Entry Point Not Found} The procedure entry point GdiGetBitmapBitSize could not be located in the dynamic link library GDI32.dll
 
good thing I run another pc with internet access - I googled GDI32.DLL and visited http://garbledzombie.wordpress.com/2008/06/09/service-pack-3-and-trouble-with-gdi32dll/ followed the instructions, rebooted and then kicked myself for forgetting to umount....DUUUH

so, if I ever need this again, here is my version of things to do:
  • visit Trinity Rescue Kit | CPR for your computer  - i have DSL but there's something fishy with the CD drive and I had already downloaded it;
  • burn the ISO to CD;
  • pop CD in PC and restart;
  • press <ENTER> at the bootloader if u impatient with a slow PC;
  • my dev was hda1, so "mkdir /hda1";
  • "mount /dev/hda1 /hda1";
  • "mv /hda1/windows/system32/gdi32.dll /hda1/windows/system32/gdi32.dll.corrupt";
  • "mv /hda1/windows/system32/dllcache/gdi32.dll /hda1/windows/system32/dllcache/gdi32.dll.corrupt";
  • "cp /hda1/windows/ServicePackFiles/i386/gdi32.dll /hda1/windows/system32/";
  • "cp /hda1/windows/ServicePackFiles/i386/gdi32.dll /hda1/windows/system32/dllcache/";
  • "umount /hda1";
  • "shutdown -r now";
  • remove the disk promptly when prompted;
  • GRiN as windows boots up
now I know that those steps are already posted on another person's blog, but for the odd person like me, go figure.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home